Friday, August 14, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messaging

I’ve used AOL Instant Messenger a few times throughout the years so I’m generally familiar with how instant messaging works. I mainly use it to send files back and forth to my friends more than I use it to chat, which is pretty funny I guess. Don’t worry, the files aren’t anything illegal.  I have chatted with a few people and I know the ins and outs to it especially since I have to disable Yahoo Messenger constantly on public PCs! I can LOL, ROFL and I know I’m 1337 and LFG half the time in many video games.

Using chatting software in a library is ok with me, except that the Yahoo Messenger program frequently causes errors and installs over login screens causing issues. Public PCs can pretty much be used anyway the public wants except they cannot install software. For many of our patrons, they only use it for a little bit of research and a whole lot of gaming. So basically, chat is not that big of a deal. We only discourage installations.

To be honest about the chatting part, I can’t have that going on at work so unfortunately I cannot do the chatting part of this. Thanks though.

No comments:

Post a Comment