Friday, August 14, 2009

Thing 22: Developing your own 23 Things for your Library

I have enjoyed the program very much since I began it and I think that many librarians can benefit from it. I would imagine that for my own library that 90% of the librarians should look over the 23 Things and get used to the websites and concepts. While all of these sites are excellent, I would at least adapt the librarians to the most commonly used websites on here like Flickr, Youtube, blogs, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and wikis. GoogleDocs would be excellent in getting working PDFs which we so badly need. While the more social aspects like Ning would be nice for them to know, I doubt that they would use it. Others such as LibraryThing, LibWorm, feeds and other items like that they will likely not use either, though it is good that they exist. The more creative/artistic items such as the image generators might see some use, so I would encourage that.

I feel that at least learning and having an understanding of these 23 Things is paramount for adapting to the future in libraries. I don’t necessarily see them all being studied by many of the librarians in my library however, I know that there are a few doing the 23 Things right now .

No comments:

Post a Comment