Friday, August 14, 2009

Thing 2: Learn about Learning 2.0

Hello all!

Seeing as how I completed setting up this blog, I feel I've completed Thing 1. Now on to Thing 2!

As a note aside, I had actually completed these 23 Things sometime before, I simply had not posted them to the blog but kept them on notepad since I really had to have the appearance of working and not blogging at the moment :) I would argue it is part of my work but I do have other duties to attend to that are far more pressing honestly. With that though, here is my thoughts on Learning 2.0

The thought of Learning 2.0 is challenging and fun. For myself, quite a bit of the information has been learned a long time ago. Functionally, Library 2.0 is truly adapting the Library to the challenges, technology and relevance of the future. As Web 2.0 further develops, increasing mass participation in information and content knowledge and dispersal, the Library will be increasingly needed to allow individuals to process and harness that information to their own ends. From viewing and creating their own videos in Youtube to peer to peer communication in anywhere from MySpace, Facebook, chat programs and more, Web 2.0 is a vast information trail that will change how the library functions and how patrons will use the library. Books will be online, social networks and others such as Twitter and Delicious will allow patrons more access to information than ever before.

Ultimately, as John Blyberg says, the libraries have to adapt to patron’s new needs with technology and sifting through that new information that is coming through the forefront with wikis and more. Large segments of the public to this day are still computer and information illiterate and will need guidance and support in accessing the information that they need in their lives. Ultimately, Web 2.0 is a virtual place for people to congregate, share and stockpile information that is relevant to their lives. Libraries need to know how to tap into and guide people in that virtual place.

No comments:

Post a Comment